Monday, November 19, 2007 – Facing the Questions
6:45 p.m. – 9:00 p.m.
Ottawa City Hall – Jean Pigott Hall
- Gary Nelson will welcome everyone and introduce Rita Celli. (1 minute)
- Rita will welcome everyone to the Ottawa Launch of Restorative Justice Week and introduce the topic “Facing the Questions”. This is a town hall style meeting and participation (questions and comments) is encouraged from everyone. (1 minute)
- Rita will introduce Mayor Larry O’Brien to say a few words and to proclaim Restorative Justice Week in Ottawa. (2 – 3 minutes)
- Rita will introduce Ottawa Police Chief Vernon White. (1 minute)
- Chief Vern White will speak about Restorative Justice. (15 minutes)
- Rita will invite comments from the audience. Let the town hall begin! (40 minutes)
- Rita draws the discussion to a close and invites the Chief to make closing remarks. (1 minute)
- Chief White speaks about his vision for Ottawa, where do we go from here? Give the microphone to Gary Nelson. (5 minutes)
- Gary will close. (2 minutes)
Questions that may spark some discussion are:
- Does using a Restorative Justice process always mean that charges are withdrawn?
- Is Restorative Justice appropriate in cases of serious crime?
- What if a victim is not ready to forgive the offender?
- Do the parties have to meet face-to-face?
- Can Restorative Justice be used in adult and youth cases?
- How does Restorative Justice tie in with our current Criminal Justice System?
- Will it replace the present criminal justice system?
- Is Restorative Justice soft on crime?
- If Restorative Justice is so good, why is Canada taking so long to incorporate the processes?
- Why is finding sustainable funding so difficult?
- Would you want the option of a restorative process if you were affected by a crime?
- How should the success of Restorative Justice approaches be measured?
Paul Dewar – NDP MP for Ottawa Centre
Charles Daly – High School Teacher at St. Pius X – will speak about Restorative Justice and the Education system.
Alex Munter – Executive Director of Youth Service Bureau with concerns for youth.
Randall – a former participant with the Collaborative Justice Program will tell his story.
Sabina – social worker who was a participant with the Collaborative Justice Program 4 years ago.
Kathy and Mike – became involved with the Collaborative Justice Program when their son was injured in a car accident and the driver chose the restorative justice route. They have also experienced justice from the ‘other side’ as the parents of an offender.